4th of July Weekend Recap

Happy Birthday America (a few days belated).  For those of you who celebrated, I hope you were able to enjoy time with friends and family. I have to say it was nice to enjoy the three day weekend.  Even with all of the festivities, cook outs, parties and what not, this time of year is the hardest for me. It was five years ago, on July 7th, that my mom passed away.  I will forever associate the week before the 4th and the few days after with hospitals, hospice, and watching my mom slowly slip away.

The pictures below were taken between April 2008 and August 2008.  It’s noticeable that she was loosing weight. Who knew that when some of the pictures below were taken, that she would have less than a year.

Needless to say, I like to stay busy during this holiday and this weekend was no exception.  Wednesday night I made a treat to bring to work because we were having a 4th of July food festival.  I made bite size cherry pies, complete with a Liberty Bell on top.

Thursday night I made corn roasted salsa, boiled eggs for deviled eggs, and made a gluten free crust for a strawberry tart. Then I did some spot cleaning around the house.

Friday morning I prepared the rest of the food the small cook out I was having that evening.  I made the deviled eggs.  Being fancy, I used one of my cake tips to pipe the yolks back into the egg halves.  Then I put the tart together and finished spot cleaning.
Friday afternoon, Jenny and I took her son Payton to Bay Beach, the local amusement park.  We were so busy having fun I forgot all about pictures.  I don’t know what it is about going on rides like the Scrambler and Tilt-O-Whirl, but they make me laugh like I’m 5 again. Payton went on the Zippin Pippin twice, once by himself and the scrambler twice by himself.
By the time we got back to my place, my dad was already there.  I grilled up the chicken, with a lavender BBQ sauce I picked up from TJMaxx.  It was so yummy!
After dinner was done, Jenny, Payton and I went to drop off a plate for Jenny’s boyfriend at the police station.  Some one must have brought in some beans with bacon because the first thing I smelt when we went in there was bacon.  No lie.  Since the station was only a few blocks from from the river front, we grabbed our lawn chairs and walked down. We found a pretty good spot, and hung out a bit while waiting for dusk to fall.

About half way through the fireworks, the temperature dropped and we all ended up getting cold and a little restless. We made our way back to the car, and watched the fireworks for a few more minutes before heading home.

Saturday afternoon, we went up north to Porterfield for a cook out with Jenny’s dad, step mom, stepsister, her husband and their friends.  We enjoyed the afternoon and learned a new game called Kubb. Jenny’s stepsister Michelle and her husband Charlie brought the game up with them from Milwaukee.  It reminded me a little of Bocce Ball, which I love.  Jenny, Payton and Michelle were one team, with Charlie and I on the other.  Charlie and I won both games, yeah we’re awesome! 

When Payton wasn’t throwing the batons, he was playing with some toys pretending to be a ninja and saying “Silent But Deadly”.  To which I informed him that it’s a type of fart.  He then proceeded to school me on the character from a show that he watches that he was pretending to be.  Yeah this girl got schooled in the world of Minecraft.

Jenny even got in on the Silent But Deadly fun.

Sunday, the sky looked like it was going to rain.  Thankfully any rain we got during the day was just a few sprinkles, which allowed Jenny, Payton and I to pick strawberries in the afternoon.  We went out to Sunny Hill Farm, one of the local farms that has pick your own.  This is where I would go with my mom and grandma.  I have fond memories of strawberry picking, and some not so fond ones, like going picking when I was hung over.  I love strawberries that much!

It took us about a half hour to pick berries.  Jenny and I came away with full buckets, and a full stomach on my part.  Payton had filled almost half of his bucket.  We had our berries weighed, and my total came to $5.00.  Which isn’t bad because at the Farmers Market the total came to about $8.00 for two pints. I only got one pail worth because I didn’t want them to go to waste and this year I was not planning on freezing them.

We headed back to my car and to my surprise, I locked my keys in my car!  In my excitement to get out picking, I left my car keys in the car and grabbed my house keys.  Thankfully my dad had a spare set so I was able to call him and he dropped off my keys about 30 minutes later.

This week we also had our annual meeting for the upcoming football season. Only 22 more days until the Packers’ Family night and the start of training camp.  I’m looking forward to the upcoming season!

How did you guy spend your 4th of July?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: