As you guys know Halloween is my favorite time of year. I love the spookiness and everything that goes with it. I’m also excited that last Wednesday night was the season premiere of American Horror Story: Freak Show! It’s already so creepy!
Last year a I ran across this project from The Graphics Fairy. I didn’t get around to actually doing it until this year. My version was a little different. I picked up four embroidery hoops and fabric from Michael’s. The two larger ones were about $1.79 and the smaller ones were about $1.69, the fabric was $8.99. I also picked up some floral tape for another project. My total before my 25% off coupon came to $17.94 and after it was $14.19 with tax.
So I searched the images over at The Graphics Fairy to find the ones that I liked the best. I a skull, a skeleton with a top hat, a tarantula, and a bat.
For the hairy tarantula click here
To get the skull and bat click here
For the Skeleton in Top Hat click here
I started with my plain embroidery hoops.
And spray painted them black.
Then I printed the above images from The Graphics Fairy. There were letters on the skull, and because I was using the Citra-Solv method, I had to print a mirror image of the skull. The rest I printed normally.
I poured a small amount of Citra-Solv into a mason jar. You don’t need a whole lot. My office smelt so good. You may want to open a window because it is pretty strong.
I taped the paper face down on the fabric. After the first one I did, I laid a piece of cardboard under the fabric. Using a small brush, I spread the Citra-Solv on the paper, You want the paper to be wet, but not soaked. Then I used a spoon to rub the ink into the fabric. You want to make sure that you use a printer that uses toner and not an ink jet or laser printer. The image won’t transfer if you use an ink jet or laser printer. The first time I used a towel under the fabric and the towel had a check pattern. You could see on the finished project.
Then I ironed the image to set the ink and get rid of the excess Citra-Solv, I had my iron set to the highest setting that it would go before the steam would kick on.
I put the fabric in the hoops and trimmed the edges. I took my hot glue gun and glued the edges down, making sure to keep it tight.
I picked some ribbon from my jar-o-ribbon, and tied them, and looped them around the screws of the hoops.
I hung them on the wall going up stairs.
I loved how these turned out, they are fun (and a little creepy) Halloween wall art. The possibilities are endless!