DIY Craft Fair Table

Hey guys! I hope you all had a Happy Holiday. Today I’m going to share with you my new table I made for my craft fairs. Back in July, I found these two Nustyle quilting frames when I was down in Appleton at Ye Old Goat. When first I saw them, I knew what I was going to do with them. I was going to make a small table to bring to craft fairs/markets.

After each craft market I participate in I always think of another way to display items. After the last IgNight Market in June, I realized I needed a table top that was sturdy to put smaller items and create a tiered display. Last summer I made a larger 2′ by 6′ table, but with the addition of my Ikea shelves, I that table was a little too large. to fit in the back to the my dad’s truck with all of the other things I need to bring. I decided I needed something that can be assembled and disassembled fairly quickly and that doesn’t take up much room in my garage when being stored. Another thing I needed to consider was the ability to fit easily in my car, for the times that I didn’t have access to my dad’s truck or for smaller markets. Like when I had a craft market, this past summer, my dad was on vacation out of town so I had to fit everything in my Kia Soul. I Tetrised the ish out of my car!

I started by removing the clamps and cleaning the quilting frames with water and Citrasolv. Once cleaned, I let them dry out in the sun.

While the frames were drying, I cut the boards to the length I wanted. I decided 4 feet by 3 feet was a large enough size. Not too big, and not too small. This size will fit easily in the back of my car.

With the boards cut, I then cut furring strips to length and screwed them to the underside of the table top boards. The furring strips didn’t seem like they were offering much support, so I added two 1″ by 3″ boards, cut to 32″. Once all the pieces were screwed together, I flipped the table top over and sanded the top. Once the top was sanded to my liking, I hosed it off and set it out in the sun to dry. Two of the boards had a slight bend and were causing the top to bow slightly. The combination of the additional sturdier boards and letting the table top dry in the sun actually helped straighten it out.

As the table top was drying, I started painting the legs. I decided to go with Sacred Sage, which is one of Fusion Mineral Paint’s Limited Edition colors by Lisa Marie Holmes. I had picked these samples up from my local stockist, Denell, with no idea what I was going to do with them. I just really liked the colors.

Instead of staining the top, I decided to try something different. I decided to use hemp oil. This was my first time using hemp oil so I didn’t really know what to expect. I applied the first coat and let it dry. By this time, it was getting pretty late, so I ended up letting the first coat soak in over night.

After work the next day, I then applied the second and third coats of hemp oil. Letting the second coat soak in, I then painted a second coat of paint on the quilt frames. After the second coat of paint was applied, I set the frames aside to dry and went back to the table top. I wiped down the top of the table, removing any excess hemp oil.

I love this because the quilt frames can be folded down to lay flat, and the top just sits on the quilt frames. It’s easy to move around and pretty sturdy. I was able to use the table at a craft market I joined in kind of last minute.

I told you I Tetrised the ish out of my car.

This is the first time I used the new table. It worked wonderfully! It works great when I had outdoor markets too.

So my crafty friends, what do you think? I already have a few more ideas for updates for my next craft fairs!

%d bloggers like this: