DIY Blanket Ladder

Hey guys! I hope you’re all doing well during this trying time. 2020 has been a year, hasn’t it? My goal for 2020 was to have a new post up monthly, if not more frequently. However, in January, I had to say goodbye to my fur baby, Harley, and wasn’t really feeling like writing. And now this pandemic is making its way around the world.

Last Friday, my employer gave those of us that have the capability to work form home to do so until further notice. It doesn’t give me a whole lot of extra time, but it does give me about an extra hour that I’m not driving into or home from work.

For Christmas, my sister-in-law Betsy made me a cute llama tie blanket. I realized that with all of the blankets I have I needed a better way to store them. So just after the New Year, I put together a blanket ladder to store all my cutest and most frequently used blankets. I did this for around $10. So, today I’m going to share with you this inexpensive blanket ladder!


  • Two 2×4 boards to your desired length. I used 7 foot boards
  • One 2/3 board long enough to cut the number of rungs. I used a 6 foot board
  • Stain
  • Nails or Screws
  • Wood Glue
  • Sander
  • Nail Gun or Drill

I trimmed the raw edges of what would be the top of each leg of the blanket ladder to get nice clean edges. I ended up cutting seven inches off the top of each side. Seven feet was just too tall for my space.

With the tops of the sides cut down to size, I turned my miter saw to 10 degrees and cut the bottom of the sides so it will lean against the wall. I thought 10 degrees was enough so that the legs would would remain flush against the floor when leaning.

With the legs of the ladder cut, I marked each of the legs where I wanted each of the rungs to be. I decided that the top rung would be five inches from the top and then there would be 14 inches between each rung. There is more space between the bottom rung and the floor. I did that because I didn’t want a blanket dragging on the floor. If Harley was still here, I imagine he’d be making his own little hidey place underneath that last blanket and getting it full of his fur.

Once I decided on the measurements I liked, I sanded the sides and the rungs. Then I marked the spots. where I wanted the rungs to go. I drilled pilot holes and then attached the rungs to the sides. I used a little wood glue for extra hold. This was the hardest part of the whole project. I had a hard time holding the pieces together while using my drill to screw the screws, even with the pilot holes drilled. I would recommend to have an extra set of hands for this part.

Once assembled, I then stained the wood. I chose to use Varathane’s Carbon Gray. I thought it would be a nice departure for my usual go to of Jacobean. I used a foam brush to apply the stain, and then wiped it back right away with a rag. I had noticed that this color goes on pretty dark.

So there is my finished blanket ladder. She’s a beauty!

I hope you all are being safe and remember to practice self care, whatever that might be for you. I’m planning on hunkering down and avoiding stores, or places with a lot of people as much as possible.

%d bloggers like this: