Hey everyone! I can’t believe it’s graduation season! I have been busy working on gardening projects and yard work. At the end of April, I took my first trip to Europe. In fact, it was my first trip outside the US! A friend and I went to Amsterdam, Bruges, Epernay, and Paris. I’m still editing the photos I took and hopefully, I will get them posted soon.
In the mean time, I’m going to share with you a quick DIY project I did for my entry way. I just have to finish the trim and it will finally be completed! It only took a year!
- Board cut to size
- L Brackets
- Tape Measure
Once my new front door was installed, I started working on my entry way makeover. I took measurements to determine how much room I had to the right of the front door. Between the trim and the wall, I had a space of 9.5 inches, and from door to door, I had 42 inches. I searched though hundreds of pictures on Pinterest for inspiration and I knew I didn’t want to go with anything that felt too heavy or bulky. I decided on using a simple 2×8 piece of wood, and hair pin legs. I the I cut a piece of 2×8 down to 38 inches in length. I gave it a sanding before staining the piece.
Once cut and sanded, I stained the wood, using Verathane’s Flagstone. My trusty stain color of choice is Jacobean. But since moving in the house, I have been opting for lighter stains. I liked Flagstone because it is a light natural color and it seemed to pull a bit of grey in the grain.
I applied two coats of stain. I usually wipe the stain back after a few minutes. But because this was so light, I did not wipe it back. After the stain had dried, I marked where I wanted the legs to go. I decided on setting 2.5 inches from each side.
I lined up the outer edge of the hairpin leg on the line I marked at 2.5 inches. The back part of hairpin leg was lined up with the back of the piece of wood.
I tried putting all four legs on the table and there just wasn’t enough room. t looked too cluttered, and I didn’t like it. Because I could only use two legs, the table would fall over if it wasn’t attached to the wall. I attached an L Bracket to the bottom of the shelf and marked where it would be attached to the wall. Because the house was built in the 1940’s, the walls are plaster and lath and I have a hard time trying to find a stud. I secured the table to the wall with an anchor.
I am happy with how the entry table turned out. It a little rustic, with a touch of mid-century. I like to make it festive for the holidays. If you happen to stop by, we will eventually talk about true crime.
You can see that in the second picture, I had made progress on the other side of the entry way. There is more to come on that!